To understand what it means to be a Christian, you need to understand the Gospel, which is just an ancient term for “good-news”.
What is the Gospel?
1.The Gospel begins with God our Creator and King, who is worthy of all glory.
Thus says God, the Lord, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it.
Worthy are you, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created.
2. When God created us, He called us to worship and serve Him, and to serve each other.
So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that you care for him? Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor. You have given him dominion over the works of your hands; you have put all things under his feet.
For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen. I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.
Which commandment is the most important of all? Jesus answered, “The most important is, ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”
3. Instead, we chose to serve ourselves and worship things other than God.
None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside.
Because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever! Amen.
4. Because of our twisted worship and perverted service, we are rightly under God’s judgment and wrath.
For the wages of sin is death.
And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment…
5. In His love and grace, God the Father sent His Son Jesus the Messiah/Christ to earth, who always lived in rightful worship and service to God and others.
For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin.
He committed no sin, neither was deceit found in his mouth. When he was reviled, he did not revile in return; when he suffered, he did not threaten, but continued entrusting himself to him who judges justly.
1 Peter 2:23
6. Yet Jesus the Messiah was executed by an ancient form of execution: crucifixion. In dying on the cross, Jesus took the punishment for our disordered worship so that we might be forgiven.
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, that he might bring us to God.
1 Peter 3:18
For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.
7. Jesus proved the effectiveness of His death as a substitute for sin through His resurrection, and He now stands with His Father in Heaven.
Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies. Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died- more than that, who was raised- who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.
(Jesus) was delivered up for our transgresses and raised for our justification.
And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him that name that is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow.
8. God calls humans again to worship and serve. But it must now be done through the reality of Jesus’ life, death and resurrection. In order to start this calling, we must first repent and believe, and continue repenting and believing, in this life. By doing so, we will live out our calling as Christians.