In Calvary’s Constitution, we have three documents that describe what we believe: the Statement of Faith, the Church Covenant, and the Biblical Principles for Christian Living. These three documents do not exhaust the extent of our faith. The Bible itself is the sole and final source of all that we believe. We do believe, however, that they accurately represent the teaching of the Bible and, therefore, are binding upon all members. All literature and teaching at Calvary will be in complete agreement with them. The first document, our Statement of Faith, summarizes what we think the Bible says about important doctrinal issues. The second document, our Biblical Principles for Christian Living, summarizes what we think the Bible says about important contemporary ethical issues. The third document, our Church Covenant, summarizes what we think the Bible says about important lifestyle choices. All three documents are important to us because they summarize what the Bible says, and are therefore embraced by all our members and ministries.
Our Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible, both Old (39 books) and New (27 books) Testaments, to be verbally inspired and inerrant in the original writings, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God, the complete, necessary and sufficient revelation of His will for man’s salvation and conduct.
- We believe that there is one God. He is perfect and is eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was fully God and fully man in His incarnation. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. We believe in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death for our sins through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection from the dead for our justification, and in His ascension to the right hand of the Father in heaven, where He intercedes as our High Priest.
- We believe in the personal return of our Lord Jesus Christ in power and glory to establish His kingdom of righteousness and peace.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe man was originally created in the image of God. Through disobedience, self- centeredness and sin he incurred both physical and spiritual death. Thus, all are now born with a sinful nature, separated from God and can be saved only through the atoning work of Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost. Those who believe and are saved will be resurrected into an eternity of life spent in God’s presence, in His distinct joy and bliss. All who are unrepentant and unbelieving are lost unto the resurrection of damnation, a Christless eternity of conscious torment in hell.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ and that the Church consists of all those who believe in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- We believe in the local Christian Church as the primary and sufficient vehicle initiated and founded by God through the power of the Holy Spirit to nurture new believers in faith, disciple mature believers, and evangelize the lost. Local Christian Church members join together for worship, prayer, fellowship, the proclamation of the Gospel and observance of the ordinances of believers’ Baptism and Communion instituted by the Lord Jesus.
- We believe in the Great Commission to proclaim the Gospel of our Lord to the uttermost parts of the earth and to make disciples, thus giving man the Word of God in truth.
A. Sexual Purity
We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman. We believe that any form of homosexuality, lesbianism, bisexuality, bestiality, incest, fornication, adultery and pornography are sinful perversions of God’s gift of sex. We believe that God disapproves of and forbids any attempt to alter one’s gender by surgery or appearance.
We believe that God has ordained that the only legitimate marriage is the joining of one man and one woman. Since we are ‘not to be unequally yoked with unbelievers’, a Christian should only enter into marriage with another Christian. If a Christian is married to an unbeliever, the Christian should remain faithful to their wedding vows and seek to live in harmony with their spouse.
C. Grace for Healing and Forgiveness
We believe that God, in His created order, designed us with a purpose. Through the fall of man, we are out of alignment from that created order. The price of Christ’s death and resurrection is sufficient for us to live in freedom, being restored to our created destiny. It is this reality that causes us to offer healing and restoration for all sinners, including any form of sexual sin.
D. Spiritual Equality of Men and Women
We believe that men and women are spiritually equal in position before God but that God has ordained distinct and separate spiritual functions for men and women in the home and the Church. The husband is to be the leader of the home, and men are to be the leaders (pastors and elders) of the church. Accordingly, only men are eligible for licensure and ordination by the church.
E. Family Structure
We believe that God has ordained the family as the foundational institution of human society. The husband is to love his wife as Christ loves the Church. The wife is to submit herself to the scriptural leadership of her husband as the Church submits to the headship of Christ. Children are a heritage from the Lord. Parents are responsible for teaching their children spiritual and moral values and leading them through consistent lifestyle, example and appropriate discipline, including scriptural corporal correction.
F. Sanctity of Life
We believe that human life begins at conception and that the unborn child is a living human being. Abortion constitutes the unjustified, unexcused taking of unborn human life. Abortion is murder. We reject any teaching that abortions of pregnancies are acceptable. In those rare instances where the mother’s life is in danger and it is not possible to save both the mother and the baby we believe it is moral to save one life rather than lose two lives.
Euthanasia is an activity outside the plan of God who alone numbers our days.
G. Our love for humanity
We believe that we should demonstrate love for others, not only toward fellow believers, but also toward both those who are not believers and those who oppose us. We are to deal with those who oppose us graciously, gently, patiently, and humbly. God forbids the stirring up of strife, the taking of revenge, or the threat or the use of violence as a means of resolving personal conflict or obtaining personal justice. Although God commands us to abhor sinful actions, we are to love and pray for any person who engages in such sinful actions.
Now that we have received Jesus Christ as our Savior and have confessed Him as our Lord, baptized by His command, we now before God and this Church shall seek, with God’s help to:
A. Glorify God in our bodies, minds, and spirits.
B. Be controlled by the Holy Spirit.
C. Worship and pray together.
D. Have family times of worship and prayer.
E. Walk in Christian love.
F. Be just and faithful in all our dealings.
G. Speak only what is true and helpful.
H. Be slow to anger and quick to forgive.
I. Continually strive toward spiritual maturity.
J. Teach our children about Jesus Christ.
K. Exercise our spiritual gifts for the mutual benefit of all the Church body.
L. Serve in one or more ministries within the Church as the Lord leads.
M. Be willing to minister or give service through and beyond this Church.
N. Help the sick, aged and others troubled as we have opportunity.
O. Give freely our tithes and offerings for the establishing of the Gospel.
P. Witness to members of our families, our friends, and others whom we meet.
Q. Submit in the Lord to the loving rule of the Elder Board.